Home of Count Basie
Home of Count Basie from 1946 – mid-1970s
indicate that the Basie estate owned the property as late as 1998.)
(Previous address: 1274 Fifth Avenue)
Block 10288, Lot 11
Date of construction: 1935
A low-slung two-story English-Tudor-style home.
The frame building features a brick veneer on the first floor and
stucco above. Two arched windows with fanlights flank the doorway,
which is found in a projecting, gabled porch. At the upper story,
half-timbering, in the English manner, exists.
The property once included extensive grounds and
a swimming pool. In 1987, the grounds were developed with four new
structures designed by Gerald T. O’Buckley. This development
is called “Basie Estates.”